Saturday, March 24, 2012

Gender Roles


In my previous post I looked at the similarities and differences between God’s Bits of Wood and Une Si Long Lettre. In chapters three and four I noticed some gender roles and how they have changed through the strike.  On page thirty-three, it talks about how in the Senegalese culture most of the time men have multiple wives. “In this country, the men often had several wives, and it was perhaps because of this that, at the beginning, they were scarcely conscious of the help the woman gave them”. This is the same as Une Si Long Lettre, I enjoyed seeing how two books from a culture very different to my own has similar story lines. The quote continues to say, “… he would seek the arms of his wife, without thinking or caring, whether she was the first or the third. Burdened shoulders, the listless walk, the woman become conscious that change was coming for them as well” (33-34). The chapter finalizes with a clarifying statement about the change about to arise; “And the men began to understand that if the times were bring forth a new breed of men, they were also bringing forth a new breed of women” (34). This final statement foreshadows evens that will occur in the upcoming chapters, what of, I don’t know yet, but I am looking forward to seeing the gender roles change as the time shall change.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the change of the role women have in these two chapters. What circumstances do you think enable them to be able to undergo that change in their attitudes and thus their roles in society?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I kind of thought of it as was like in US history when in World War Two all the men went to war which meant of the woman took traditional "mens" jobs. What I am cirous about is when the srike ends, will the gender roles revert to before, like in WW2. (But as history shows, women don't back down and they fight for their rights.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re the best, I just ran across your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. I have subscribed to your feed and I hope you write again very soon! stair treads

    ReplyDelete