Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fire, Water (and Rugby?)


The elements of fire and water have had different meaning for each society and group. When we were discussing how it represented it in God’s Bits of Wood. In God’s Bits of Wood fire was almost a way of survival, the fire was to impede the horses; therefore pacifying the French white men. Unfortunalty, this did quite the opposite effect, the French white men became enraged. The French men are treating the native Senegalese poorly, but as people always say; one can’t fight fire with fire, (as literal as that may be, currently). Water is one way that the French torments the Senegalese. In chapter nine it was interesting to see how fire and water was used to manipulate one’s needs.

When I was reading the book and we were discussing fire and water in class I thought about what I think about with fire and water; two things came to my mind. First, I thought about “Avatar: The Last Air Bender”, and simply how these elements control their livelihood. The main thing I thought about was my old Rugby team. Two of our plays were fire and water, the fire was the backs – swift and can travel quickly; water, the forwards – can push anything out the way and can be a tsunami when needed.

How do you picture fire and water in your mind?

1 comment:

  1. I like how when you pictured fire and water you thought of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." I used to watch that show with my dad and brothers and remember when Aang had to learn water, then earth, and then fire. Water is the flow and fire is destruction. It's kind of cheesy, but the people have lost balance because these pieces are so uneven.

    ReplyDelete